Tuesday, February 17, 2015

An Emergency Trip on Valentine's




I detest the very idea of Valentine's day. For years I have refused to let boyfriends buy me chocolate or roses, take me on a date, or plan anything that is out of the ordinary. And so, I planned to spend February 14, an ordinary Saturday in my opinion, hitting the wall to compete in the annual T-Town Pull Down rock climbing competition hosted at Alabama. There were 90 competitors set to dominate the fresh routes and show off their climbing ability. Once I acquired my super sweet T-shirt, checked out all the new routes, and poured over the score sheet, I too was ready.

Kind of.


Honestly, I was pretty nervous. My first ever rock climbing competition. There were so many people there and I started to feel overwhelmed very quickly. But once I had a strategy in my head, I started to feel more confident. And without any pressure on myself {I had no expectation of doing well in this competition, I was just in it to watch other people be amazing and have fun} I wasn't all that concerned about anything.

The climb session started well and I was having a ton of fun. My climbing wasn't the best I've ever done but it was solid and I accomplished several routes that I was proud of. I got to watch fantastic climbers; people whose skill level and ability I was in awe of. Towards the end Ray and I decided to try the Valentine's problem. Basically it's a climb that involves staying linked with your partner the entire climb, but it's low to the ground. We attempted it several times and came very close to topping out (for you non-climbers: finishing it). On about the 5th try I came off the wall and landed on the ground, but my left foot caught on the edge and rolled. I heard a nasty sound like the pop of a suction cup releasing followed by something similar to crumpling up a bunch of bubble wrap. Pain immediately shot up my leg as my body crumpled to the floor. I had never heard close to 70 people get so quiet, so suddenly before. I was screaming in my head but sound wasn't coming out. As people surrounded me, lifting me off the mat and carrying me to a nearby bench, all I could think about was the pain. And that noise I had heard, when my foot connected with the ground, kept replaying in my head, like a foreshadowing of bad news. 

I ended up with a third-degree sprain and partially torn ligaments in my left ankle. So yes, I'm on crutches and am wearing a type of air cast. Which means no climbing for a while obviously.

At first, this seemed terrible. I couldn't believe I didn't even get to finish my first competition, I couldn't climb for at least a month, I was about to become the largest burden to everyone I knew, and I was in so much pain it was crazy. But now, I'm starting to think there is light in this situation. 
<< as there always is >>

I received 2nd in my division in the climbing competition, without even finishing. For me, this is a feat and I still don't believe it actually happened. But there's more than just that.

Two guys I didn't know responded to my injury with efficiency and knowledge. They helped stabilize my ankle and get my shoe off before the swelling made it impossible. They didn't even know me, but were willing to take time out of their competition to help me. Other climbers checked in to see if there was anything they could do for me, make me laugh, award cheering compliments, or just to offer their concern. The climbing community is one of the best I have ever experienced. It doesn't matter if you're a stranger or their climbing partner, everyone is in it together.

My friends have completely pulled through for me. Sarah and Caroline ditched their Valentine ice cream plans to take me to the emergency clinic and my Big, Kaity, and her boyfriend, Chris, skipped the Valentine's dance and shared their amazing home-cooked meal with me. Since then they all have been doing everything they can for me. Ray (who absurdly thinks he is some-what responsible) checks in on me throughout the day as well; helping me ice my ankle, get up into my lofted bed, and do other random tasks. This experience has shown me that my friends here at Alabama are amazing, and that they're more than just friends: they're family.

I've had strangers make me laugh about it and had friends tell me they are praying for healing. Fellow students stand to let me sit on the bus and rush to open doors for me. My professors are completely understanding and generous. One even offered to give me a ride across campus so I didn't have to walk in the rain.

Although I hate Valentine's Day, I have to admit that this February 14th, I experienced the sincerest displays of love I know. And there's nothing to hate about that. This weekend I gained something way more important than a medal; the knowledge that no matter what happens, the people I know here, and even the ones that I don't, will be there every hop, crutch, and climb along the way, to help me top out

No comments:

Post a Comment