Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Experiencing Bangalore

Well, today was definitely an interesting day. On the way to the hotel, the stuff I saw was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.It looked a lot like Mexico, Dominican, and other places I have been to before. The hotel is actually really nice. I was surprised. I mean, it's no Marriott, but for where we are, it is nice. We went to Commercial Street later in the day, which was fun. Commercial Street is a street that contains all kinds of stores. Some are little tiny shops, while others are big time names, like Nike! We even went to McDonalds!

 After we left Commercial Street, we went to one of the orphanages, Galilee Grace or The Grace Home. I felt pretty broken at some points. At first, it was great! We played games with the children and they were all so adorable. I even taught them a game we play here a lot, called Ships & Sailors, and they loved it! It was after that where I started to see the pain in India.



Photo Credit: Ben Hodson
Photo Credit: Ben Hodson







We went upstairs to see where they children sleep. The conditions actually were pretty good. They had nice bunk beds to sleep in. Although they were crammed into small rooms, at least they had somewhere to sleep. They also had little cubbies to store their things in. It is sad that everything they own can fit into one of those tiny little boxes, when I own a room full of things that I can call mine.






Once we had taken a look around, I went over to the "window" (just a hole with slats in it) and what I saw gave me so many questions to ask God. There were just piles of trash, right there, next door to the orphanage. Children were roaming around in the piles, picking up trash, obviously hunting. Berea told me that the children that do that are the ones that live on the streets, and they search through the trash for anything they can eat or sell. Seeing that, well, it definitely rocked my faith a bit.







Tonight, Berea asked me a question that was extremely hard to answer, yet I knew that it was something I needed to think about. She asked me:

If you could ask God one question, what would it be, and why? 

Finally, I came up with my answer. How could He, the maker of the universe, the All-power, All-mighty, Omniscient God let this happen? What makes one child more cared for than another? Why do I live in complete comfort, with everything I have ever wanted or ever needed, when there are children who are starving. Why are there children in India who are cared for, and loved, and then there are others who live on the streets, wondering if they are going to eat tonight. It just doesn't seem fair, and I don't understand it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment