Tuesday, June 5, 2012

LAST DAY

WOW. How to even put into words how this feels? The day was pretty fun, but there was a sense of foreboding clouding the day. I could tell the kids were thinking about it being the last day. We did everything like normal throughout the day though. We even ended up having a dance party! It was SO much fun! We learned some of their style of dancing and then we taught them the Cha-Cha Slide.

At the end of the day, we had to say goodbye. Before that, we all sat in a circle and said what the trip, and us being there, had meant to us. It was so amazing to hear exactly what it meant to the kids for us to come. I was the first to cry of course. I'm crying just thinking about it. I can't recall everything that was said, but there was one that stuck out to me. There was a girl named Swetha, she is about 14 years old. She stood up and promptly started crying, the tears just streaming down her face. She told us about the hard life she had before she came to the orphanage. She didn't know what fun was, because her parents had mistreated her. She told us that we had shown her what fun truly means, and she was so grateful for us. It was so impactful. It showed me the power of short-term missions.

Then the real goodbyes started. It was heartbreaking. Absolutely, completely, utterly, heartbreaking.
I have never felt so loved in all my life. I don't know how I found the strength to walk out of that building, but I did. I guess God gave me the strength, because there is no way I did that on my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment