Saturday, June 2, 2012

Learning Kannada

What a fun day! I got to travel to TWO separate orphanages.I went to Galilee Grace first, and then Agape in the afternoon. I decided right off the bat it would be easier if I could ask the kids a couple questions so Ramesh didn't have to keep running between Dr. Hodson and I. I asked Ramesh if he would teach me how to speak some Kannada, and at first, it seemed impossible. Finally I got it! This is how it sounds, and what it means:

My name is Lauren- Nah-Nah es-ah-roo Lauren

What's your name? Nee-Nah es-ah-roo yay-new?

How old are you? Nee-Nah y-ah-sue yesh-tu

It was so cool to see the children's reactions when I spoke them in their language. There was one moment in particular that was really cool. Kedsiya is one of the older kids at Galilee Grace, and she speaks almost perfect English. I didn't know that, and so when she came up to get her check-up, I talked to her in Kannada. She looked surprised, and then she smiled and said, "My name is Kedsiya". It was just this really amazing moment where we could speak each others language, and it was almost as if we understood each other. It was really neat!

During lunch, Alice, the "mom" of the orphanage, talked to us about her life, and it was just amazing everything that had happened to her. Everything she said she attributed back to God. The words "By God's Grace" were at the start or end of almost every sentence. She has so very little, but she gives EVERYTHING to God anyways. That is astounding to me.

Recently, I have really gotten the opportunity to know Noah. What a magnificent young man. He may not want to be a missionary when he grows up, but that part of him will never leave him. Anyone could tell that he has a heart for orphans. Not only that, but they love him in return. I learning how to touch the lives of the little ones from him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment