Sunday, June 3, 2012

BANU

You know, a lot of different things happened today, and I could tell you all these wonderful stories, but in the end, only one story really matters. My heart breaks for Banu, literally breaks for a child I spent a couple hours with. What a beautiful little 5 year old, with such a harsh story to her life. She has only been at Mercy Home for 4 days. Her mother passed away at 22 from cancer. Cancer also claimed both her grandmother and grandfather. Four days ago, her father was killed in an accident. He was fixing something and holding it up at the same time, and it fell on top of him. He died immediately. I can tell this little one is hurting. Her english is very limited, unlike the other children at the orphanage. I can see the pain in her eyes, and that pains me. One of the women at the orphanage told me that when she first arrived at the orphanage, she cried and cried. She cried for three days and three nights, and that's all she did. She wouldn't eat, wouldn't sleep. When she told me that, I just wanted to pick Banu up and hold her in my arms forever. But eventually, I had to let go. When she realized we were leaving, she got all shy and sad. She wouldn't even let me hug her. Eventually, when I did give her a hug, she looked at me and started crying. I got on the bus with a broken heart. When I looked out the window, there she was, staring at me, tears streaming down her face. The look on her face was the saddest thing I have ever seen. She looked at me like I was just one more person to walk out of her life. And the worst part is, she's right. I'm leaving. I have to sit on this bus and let it drive away, knowing I may never see her again, and that breaks me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment